POSITION: Social Media Manager – (Russian)
Clearance Required: SECRET
Resilient Point is seeking a candidate to fill the role of Russian Social Media Managers will actively manage social media pages designed and optimized for engagement with a Russian audience. They will draw on personal professional experience — as well as government and industry best practices — to support government lead(s) in developing a sustained, authentic voice for the Bureau on policy matters through the development of targeted original content.
While these positions involve balancing cultural nuances in a fast-changing online environment, they also will demand an understanding of analytical tools and statistical metrics which will be a core resource informing content development. A thorough knowledge of U.S. foreign policy and a nuanced understanding of the Russian digital media landscape are key.
Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate within the Bureau as well as with colleagues in the field and third-parties to stand up an original social media platform and brand
- Actively manage social media properties including but not limited to Vkontakte and Odnoklassniki, writing social headlines, gathering creative assets, and leveraging social “best practices” to maximize engagement, including adapting content for different social media platforms
- Follow the daily online conversation in Russia and the US to identify trends and topical targets of opportunity, leveraging this information to pitch relevant stories and actively engage with followers and fans
- Develop an authentic and original “voice” of the brand, engaging directly with users, and curating third party content in a friendly and informative way while maintaining the Department’s policy posture
- Monitor social media metrics in real time, recommending potential paid advertising opportunities and conducting periodical reviews of campaigns
- Create a regular metrics review process with the data team, which will inform an evolving strategy for performance improvement
- Manage internal relationships and information clearance process that maintains integrity of current policy priorities with “owners” within the appropriate bureau(s)
- Native Russian language, to be evaluated by an IIP team consisting of Russian speakers.
- Fluency in English.
- Extensive knowledge of Russian digital media landscape
- Solid understanding of social networking platforms, including VK, Odnoklassniki, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and other platforms.
- A highly developed social media presence on VKontakte and Odnoklassniki which demonstrates professional expertise on these platforms
- Demonstrated experience managing social media on Russian platforms (i.e., digital marketing or newsroom environments)
- Excellent writing skills; journalism experience and headline-writing skills for a Russian audience a huge plus.
- Some experience in visual media storytelling (memes, Gifs etc.) and/or the ability to learn design tools like photoshop.
- Understanding of digital analytics tools like Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics, Google Analytics and Chartbeat.
- Good translation skills, to be determined by an English-to-Russian writing sample to be reviewed by IIP staff for style and accuracy.
- Understanding of professional journalistic standards and ethics.
- Understanding of the principles of social media optimization and search-engine advertising.
- Academic background in international relations, history, political science, journalism, communications, or Russian language and studies.
- Knowledge of current events in Russia and Eastern Europe.
- Knowledge of U.S. foreign policy in the region.
- Ability to follow direction on communication style and techniques required to manage social networking outreach.
- Excellent facility with standard software, including the complete Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, SharePoint), and an ability to learn and work with other software, as well as database applications.
- Demonstrated conceptual, design, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organizational and communications skills.
- Excellent, timely and precise organizational skills and multi-tasking abilities.
- Excellent ability to work independently, with minimal supervision, and multi-task in a high volume, fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent ability to also have a flexible, team-oriented approach to work.
- Excellent ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with colleagues.
- Significant familiarity or direct experience in working for U.S. foreign affairs agencies and/or international organizations.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance at the Secret level.
- A Bachelor’s Degree is required.